Sunday, March 18, 2012

Hidden Truths

I re-read Mary Shelly's Frankestein this week. It has been about a decade since I read it last. While I remembered the happeinings of the story, I was surprised by how much I had seemingly missed the first go round. All of the underlying messages laced throughout the characters and the undfolding plot. Where it initially gave me a decent couple of hours of entertainment-- a deeper look at the story I had seen rendered and rerendered so many times-- this time provided a scource of self assesment.

The idea of questioning what makes us human, and who would win in a battle of Nurture versus Nature?

I learned a great deal more about the story and my own opinions by re-reading the book. Something I think it is important to note. IF we go through life only giving these things a preliminary glance before moving on, we loose so much. Why read a book again? Because there is so much more waiting underneath the surface that can't be seen when you're wrapped up in plot and climax.

When you know what is going to happen, you can see the purpose of everything so much more clearly. If only we could use this trick in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment