Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Other Eliot

T.S. Eliot's The Waste Land is probably his most talked about and studied poem. And while I admire the complexities of this impressive work, I find myslef very much drawn to a poem seemingly often overlooked but very popular and influential within our culture through movies, music, and literature.

The Hallow Men is my particular favorite Eliot poem. And it continues to be referrenced and relevent to this day. In talking about Eliot and The Waste Land this week, I wanted to pay tribute to what I thought was yet another work of mastery.

To show just how much this poem has influenced our culture, below is a clip from Apocolypse Now. Marlon Brando reads an exerpt from the poem in a film based on the book The Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad which is referrenced in the poem The Hollow Men. It all goes full circle in a really beautiful way.





No comments:

Post a Comment