Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Value of a Thoughtful Hand

This is the last week before I head out into the world armed with my shiny new degree. Of course I know it isn't shiny in the literal sense, but they do shine for us don't they? Isn't that what they hold out at the end of the long, long, long tunnel? The proverbial carrot on a string, if you will. So the question comes up: Now what?

 I will be the proud owner of a Liberal Arts Degree in Creative Studies (writing). And like anyone who has dared the pursuit of such an overlooked degree program, I face the challenge of finding where exactly I fit in among the rest of the professional world. And I have often confronted questions of my future from strangers and friends alike wondering what I could do with such a degree.

 "Why would you bother studying writing, literature, and poetry? Doesn't that seem kind of frivolous in such a tough job market?"

I don't know exactly what the future holds for me, and I won't quote the obvious connection here about certain less frequented roads. Writing, like any art, after all, is the study of the human condition and that is always especially delicious fodder.
"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competence that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become." --C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment